Sunday, January 8, 2012

Picture Perfect

Happy New Year to all of you! It certainly has been a very busy one! I had a wonderful Christmas vacation full of baking and crafting and family and friends.  I was able to try out the many FABULOUS ideas that I have been pinning from the AHHH-mazing website pinterest.com.  Have you checked it out yet? Do it! I feel creative just spending hours upon hours combing the website and pinning away.  I know...hours upon hours??? well, now that school/work is back in session I am lucky to get a few minutes a day on the site.  But nonetheless, still addicted!!

With Valentine's Day approaching, I wanted to share one of the crafts I did during the Christmas Season.  I kow you are thinking..why is this lady talking about a Christmas craft for Valentine's Day?  You'll see....This was our Holiday gift to the parents from their children.  Except we used plastic plates (more economically friendly).  The pictures below are from doing the activity with my friends children using glass plates.  It is absolutely adorable, affordable and really really really easy to do! Of course there is a little prep involved.  I love this activity mostly 1)because it is so child focused and 2) it has a photo.  Parents LOVE anything with their child's photo on it! 

Isn't this cute???


So here is what you need:
Clear glass or plastic plate (size doesn't really matter, got mine at the 99 cent store)
Wrapping paper/tissue paper
Modge Podge (I LOVE this stuff)
A photo of your child(ren)
Paint brush or sponge brush

Prep work: 

1. Print photos and cut out in the desired shape and size (they need to fit in the center circle of your plate. 

2.  Cut up wrapping paper in to 1.5 x 1.5 inch squares...does not need to be precise

3. Turn the plate over so it is Upside Down

Apply a thin layer of Modge Podge to the inner circle (area) of the plate and place the child's photo face down on the Modge Podge'd area.  Then apply another layer of Modge Podge over the picture sealing the edges.  Let dry...it will dry rather fast. Unfortunately I do not have a photo of this step... :0(

Let the children create....

My Helpers...Sophia, Scarlet and Sethe. A special thanks to their mom, Robbin, for letting me use their pictures in my blog.  Thanks Robbin!



Step 1:  Apply a generous layer of Modge Podge over the entire plate using a poster paint type brush or sponge brush.  Then add a layer of wrapping paper to the plate...attempting to cover the entire plate.




 Make sure that the wrapping paper is also placed "face down"..turning it over so you cannot see the pattern.   So when the project is completely dry, you will turn it over and see the picture and pattern.


Step 2: Then apply another generous layer of Modge Podge and add additional wrapping paper squares filling in any "holes".


Step 3: Then add one more layer of Modge Podge to seal it up.  Let dry.



Step 4: Once the plate dries, trim the excess wrapping paper around the plate and put in a plate stand or whatever tickles your fancy...




So, I learned a few things from this activity.  I have done it both on glass plates and plastic plates.  I like glass plates better...it is just a better quality gift.  However, plastic plates turn out great.  When you use plastic plates you can attach some ribbon at the top and then it can be hung from the wall. Also, this can be done with tissue paper and has a very pretty transparent look when it dries.


Back to Valentine's Day....just change the colors to pinks, reds, white and maybe a little silver an you got yourself an ADORABLE valentine gift for Grandma & Grandpa, Aunts & Uncles....I am going to give it a try this month....


No comments:

Post a Comment