Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Favorite Things: Preschool Lunch Ideas

Preschool lunches can be a source of frustration...parents are at a loss sometimes for what to send to school for their child.  Some schools follow strict N.A.E.Y.C. nutrition standards and some have a no peanut policy.  Then to add another layer on to that...preschoolers can be picky eaters! Well, I am here to tell you that there are many great ways to pack a lunch that will be stress-free for you and satisfy your picky eater.  Here are some of my most favorite lunch ideas:

First, I am a BIG fan of these little thermos':




I think that this is tried and true-it has evolved in it's look, but I had one as a child as well.  You can put anything in this and send to school.  Some suggestions are:


1. Leftovers from the night before.
2. Chicken Nuggets
3.Soup
4.Quesadilla
5. Sliced turkey dogs
6. Grilled Cheese
7. Mac n Cheese
8. Butter Noodles
9. Yogurt with fresh fruit
10.  Fill half-way with milk and in a separate container or bag send some cereal to add to the milk.

Other fun ideas that preschoolers love....

*They love to DIP...almost anything.  Send veggie sticks and some ranch dip or hummus and veggies or pita.  Our preschoolers LOVE hummus!

*Make your own lunchable.  Let me tell you..remember this...preschoolers do not eat lunchables.  Marketing on TV makes them ask you to buy them...darn marketing! They may take a bite and then realize they don't like them.  I am ok with that!  But they will eat one that you make for them.  Get some healthy deli meat (I love Boars Head) and some of your child's favorite cheese.  Use a biscuit cutter (for a nice round lunchable-esq shape) or your favorite cookie cutter and cut away.  Get some ritz crackers and whoala...LUNCHABLE-healthier style :0)

*Many schools are a peanut-free zone.  There are some yummy alternatives.  I personally love sunflower butter and cashew butter is a close second.  There is also almond butter. 

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the size/amount that you should pack for your child...







Here are a few of my favorite brands/products for kids (and me, too..shhh!)









I may update this later....what products do you love?






No comments:

Post a Comment